The real estate market is booming again, as more and more people are discovering the benefits of flipping houses. If you’re looking for a worthwhile investment, you might want to consider buying a home and selling it again in the next six months.
Here are seven reasons why flipping houses is a good business move right now:
1. House Prices Are on the Rise
If you buy a house today, you can sell it for up to 10 percent more than what you bought it for within six months. Houses bought and resold fast tend to appreciate quickly, as these types of properties are usually the first ones to be snatched up during a housing boom.
2. You Can Make a Profit Fast
According to some reports, you can make almost 4 percent of your investment every month if you “flip” a house for a profit. If you purchase a house that needs minimal improvements, clean it up, fix what’s necessary, and put it on the market again within six months, your return on investment will be almost 80%. Secure a loan from a trusted lender that offers the best mortgage rates to start the process. This way, you don’t have to shell out your own savings for this venture.
3. Homeownership Is Still Low
Owning a home has many benefits, including tax write-offs. The more you own, the fewer taxes you have to pay after every year. Even if your house isn’t earning income right now, it still helps cut your costs because owning real estate is cheaper than renting a place to live in.
4. There Are Many Property Opportunities Around You
The homeownership rate in America has fallen to its lowest level since 1995. Many people are uncertain about the economy, and they’re reluctant to make the largest purchase of their lives. The truth is, there are still many people who would like to own a home, but they don’t have the necessary cash to take out a mortgage loan for at least ten years. If you can get hold of a property in foreclosure or through short sale negotiations, you can make a very good deal on it.
5. Inventory Is Dwindling, and Demand Is Rising
The latest report from NAR shows that the inventory of homes for sale is shrinking while demand from potential buyers is increasing. The supply of available homes has been going down for months. Every month that passes by, there are a lot fewer houses hitting the market because people stop selling theirs since they don’t have anything else to buy. You’ll have a better chance at getting a deal on a house if you buy it right away and put it on the market again within six months.
6. People Are Looking for Alternative Investments
The stock market has been volatile in recent years, and many people are looking for an alternative place to invest their money. Real estate is a good choice, as many smart investors are doing to make money and diversify their investment portfolios.
7. Banks Need Cash Flow
You’ve probably noticed that the banks have been selling residential properties over the last few years, and they’re getting rid of their unsold inventory even faster now. Banks are looking to raise cash, which is why they’re making their unused properties available for sale in bulk to investors so they can get some money in exchange for them. This is an excellent opportunity for you to start flipping houses because you’ll have no competition in bidding on so many unsold homes in this market.
How Do You Start Flipping Houses?
Before you start flipping houses, you must take the time to do your research and understand how this business works. You can consult a real estate agent or a financial planner for more details on the matter. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind:
- Know where to look for properties: Your first step is to find out where you can get a hold of properties that are currently on the market for short sales or foreclosure auctions. Banks take back their unoccupied and unsold homes from previous homeowners during these times. This is your chance to make an offer on one of those houses before they put it up for sale again and price it competitively.
- Make renovations and repairs: The price is the difference between a property sold for a short sale and one that’s up for foreclosure auction. When you have no competition, it means you can buy any property at a substantially lower price than what it would cost if you bought it when banks started selling their homes again. You’ll still need to invest in renovations and repairs to attract potential homebuyers. Be sure to take out a bank loan for this kind of transaction to make it easier for you to carry out these repairs and renovations.
- Be patient: Remember that it takes time to buy, renovate, and sell properties, especially if you’re doing everything yourself without any professional help. You’ll probably have to wait for a few months before you finally manage to sell your properties over the market, so be patient and have faith that things will eventually turn in your favor.
The good thing about flipping houses is that you only need to pay when you buy them, making it easier for you to get started right away. You can start this business even if you don’t have a lot of money saved up, but you should be aware that it’ll take some time before making your first sale and turning it into profits.